So, I have covered book and television characters. It is time for a new crush in a new medium. I bring you one of my top five favorite video game characters of all time — and, he is one of my biggest crushes to boot: Ezio from the Assassin’s Creed series. Thanks for reading!
Full Name: Ezio Auditore da Firenze
Age: 17 (AC II); 65 at age of death
Who is He?
If you play video games, there is a good chance you know Ezio. He is the second hero of the Assassin’s Creed game series by Ubisoft. He first appeared as a young, dashing womanizer in Assassin’s Creed II and has appeared in more games, novels, and short films since his debut. Ezio is probably the best known of all the Assassins. I will go as far as to say he is the most popular.
- Ezio, unlike his predecessor Altaïr, did not have to cut off his ring finger when he was inducted into the Brotherhood. He got a brand instead.
- Ezio’s first paramour, Christina, was Amerigo Vespucci’s cousin. Amerigo was just some dude who “discovered” America.
- Ezio married a woman nearly twenty years younger than him. Go Ezio!
- Ezio’s beard comes and goes due to certain game glitches and sequences.
- Ezio probably had many illegitimate children which led to the various assassin bloodlines. One of the writers for the game confirmed this.
Why So Popular?
The man has charisma and good looks. He’s got enough personality to fill all of Italy. Ezio was so different from Altaïr. Altaïr was a bit boring to play. Ezio was beyond fun. Ezio probably met the stereotype of an Italian male, but it was cool. He definitely made the assassination business into a suave art form. Ezio goes through some serious trauma in the game. He loses half his family to betrayal. But he always remains Ezio. He doesn’t become a bitter, nihilist hero. He becomes more than what he was. His metamorphosis in the game is truly amazing. He goes from a spoiled teenager to a master assassin. Ezio stands out above the other main assassin characters. Altaïr and Connor are pale shadows next to him. Of course, I am completely biased in my adoration.
Why Do I Love Him?
I love him all for all the reasons listed above. I was only an hour into Ezio’s game play when I realized he moved into the ranks of my video game crushes. I think I hurt my thumbs playing the game so long. I wanted to see what happened to Ezio next. Ezio had just the right amount of snark that I love. He was also a big teddy bear sometimes. His poster occupies a spot of honor on my wall. I love his voice as well. I read a book once where the character was Italian. I have him doing Ezio’s voice in my head. I wish there was more Ezio but I can always go back and replay the games.