When shows are on hiatus, it’s a good time to binge on shows you didn’t watch when they first aired. The Magicians is one of those shows that landed on my radar. It was not what I was expecting and I got hooked. The basis of the show is a group of mid-20s magicians, all with their own issues, who band together to stop the evil Beast. The show is a mixture of magical myth and drama and is based on the novels by Lev Grossman. Check out my reasons why you should binge watch this show.
Warning: Some spoilers ahead.
Reasons to Binge:
- It’s a magic show that combines realism and whimsy. I like how Quentin, the main character, keeps his dreams of magic alive even in adversity. He has hope for magic and goodness. The characters are all unique and memorable. Some them are a tad annoying, but that is most shows.
- The magical effects on the show are just right. They aren’t overdone and look natural on screen. Secondly, they match the spells the magicians are casting. If they wanted to force push you backward, you see air being used. There isn’t unnecessary sparkle or explosions. Yes, I know explosions are cool. It’s just that too many explosions become redundant.
- Eliot Waugh. I love him, and he has the most attitude on the show.
- The show delves into many deep human issues. Each character has personal issues that they have to deal with. They aren’t perfect, and they win and fail like everyone else. A perfect human, or magician, doesn’t exist.
- The show stimulates my imagination. The subplot involving the magical world of Fillory got my attention. We all wish we could travel to a magical world as children. Imagine finding out that place was real as an adult. Even though the show deals with dark topics, there is still the presence of whimsical magic.
Not Your Cup Of Tea If…
If you are easily disturbed by adult themes. The show depicts alcohol abuse, mental illness, and rape. There are some scenes that made me cringe and feel a little upset. The show does not pull punches when they bring up these issues. I would not recommend letting your kids watch this show. It’s definitely for mature audiences only.
If you are interested in The Magicians, check out the show on Netflix. Season 2 is starting on Syfy this month.